I just watched Guardians Of The Galaxy. I expected it to suck. I was wrong.
Let me start by explaining why I genuinely expected another two hour shitfest:
- I don’t give a crap about Marvel versus DC. (I prefer Cracked.)
- At some point it is possible to see too many explosions… even in space.
- I’ve been “superheroed” to death. See #1.
- I’ve been CGI’d to death. See #2.
- The trailer convinced me to prefer anything else; such as a root canal.
Then I read a post by someone who liked the movie even though they hated the trailer. (I can’t remember who wrote it but if it was you please send me a note.) Could there be hope?
I also bumped into several positive reviews written by actual human beings. Note; I only pay attention to “non-Hollywood” reviews. Any movie with a sufficient budget (and they’re all huge) gets good reviews by well payed hacks who, as far as I can tell, are bred in vats. Why pay attention to their orgasmic ravings after every new plotless CGI fest?
I needed a break and a reward. So I paid (too much) for tickets. To my delight, it was a damn fun movie. For the first time in years I left the theater without feeling like a chump. Your mileage may vary.
I’m not going to do a plot synopsis because fuck that, that’s why. Instead I’ll point out some good points the trailer missed.